Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What to say...?

Yesterday I loaded up the kids and a picnic lunch in their new wagon and spent a couple of hours at the neighborhood pool.  We had a great time hanging out and enjoying the beautiful weather. We were nearly alone at the pool when a fun group arrived--including one very pregnant momma. She looked so adorable with her big tanned belly and her hot pink bikini. Her son was my son's age and they had fun playing together in the pool. So there we were, two pregnant mommas, watching our kids play, and of course, the subject quickly turned to the babies in our belly. We asked the usual questions. When she asked how far apart Sissy and the baby would be, I knew I would have to explain my situation. I worried that she would feel bad or something and then we would sit by the pool in awkward silence. She was so gracious however, and asked many questions about the baby and our situation. She was very sweet, and it actually made me feel better to talk about it, versus the baby just being the elephant in the room.

A lot of people have expressed to me that they don't really know what to say to me. I appreciate their honesty in just telling me that. I think that while people are so kind to offer their condolences, they tend to be afraid to bring up "the situation."  I can't speak for other people that might be going through a similar situation, but for me, I actually feel better talking about it. It gives weight to the situation somehow which helps ground it in reality. I'm not sure if that really makes much sense. I find that I rarely have time or allow myself the time to sit and reflect on the diagnosis or what I need to prepare myself for in the months ahead. By engaging in conversations with friends (and strangers) about it, it almost forces me to actually think about the facts and how I feel about them. Again, I'm not sure if that makes sense. I just share this with you to say--Don't be afraid to ask me about things. If you ever have any questions, I am more than happy to answer them. And if that particular day, I don't really feel like talking about it, I will (nicely) let you know that too. :)

After not leaving the house much last week, we have a full week planned this week. We are trying to squeeze in as many playdates and swim days as possible. Enough moping (for now at least)--Bring on some fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment