Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bella's Birth Story: Part One

Tuesday August 30th, 2011

On Tuesday morning, I got the kids up and around and headed to our local library for lapsit story time. I have been taking Brother for a couple of years and was so excited that Sissy would be old enough to enjoy it this time around. Afterwards we headed home and I was not feeling very good. I had been having contractions off and on for a couple of weeks now, but today it seemed like they were much more uncomfortable. I called a friend of mine that had been at the library with us and asked if she would mind grabbing some Chick-fil-A for us on her way home. I had planned on going to the grocery store that day because we had NOTHING in the house to eat, but I knew I was not going to be up to a trip to the store. She brought us lunch and our kids played for a little while. I put Sis down for her nap, cleaned up the toys and then put Brother down. I had been having pretty strong contractions all morning now, but was hoping that with the kids in bed I would be able to rest long enough to get them under control. I finally got in bed and had laid there approximately 2 seconds when Sissy woke up. Apparently, napping was not in her plans that day. I knew that I absolutely HAD to get some rest, so I called another friend to come play with Sis while Brother slept and I tried to rest. I timed my contractions while I laid in bed and chugged some water for and hour and a half. That whole time, they were 1 min long, 4 min apart.  Great! For those of you that have had babies lately, you know that is the textbook answer for when you should go to the hospital. I called my OB's nurse and she confirmed that I should make a trip to the hospital to have them check me out. It was about 4:30 now, so I called my hubby and told him that he should go ahead and head home and I started gathering our things for the hospital. After a couple of other false alarms, we had already gathered most of the stuff we needed for the hospital "just in case". We were pretty sure they would just send us home like last time, but we gathered all the same. I packed a diaper bag for the kids in case someone needed to bring them up there at some point. I called and ordered a pizza to be delivered so that the kids had something to eat for dinner. I touched up my make-up and fixed my hair, just to kill time I guess. When my husband got home, we loaded up and slowly drove to the hospital, stopping to get him some dinner on the way. We stalled as long as we could. We dreaded the trip either way. Either we would sit up there for 3 hours while they monitored me and then sent me home---OR we would deliver our baby girl. As daunting as the last option was, we both agreed that if today was THE day, we felt a peace about it. No day is a good day to say goodbye to a child, but if it were today, we would be ok.

It was about 6:30 by the time we made it into a hospital room. It was nice to see some familiar faces on the nursing staff--both, from our trip 2 weeks ago and from my last pregnancy. Jennifer ended up being my triage nurse. She had taken care of me once with Sis and I liked her right away. By now my contractions were further apart (every 7-9 min) but growing stronger. She checked to see if I was dilated and I was at a 2 and "thick". When she said that (combined with my contractions getting further apart) we both assumed, "oh, I guess that means we will probably go home tonight." She decided to run a test (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it) that tells whether or not you have a protein present which would mean that I would deliver within 2 weeks. The test would take an hour, so we sat back and watched TV. She came back after and hour and said that the test was positive. She checked me again and I was almost a 3 and thinner. She called my doctor and they agreed that this was not false labor. I was in the early stages of "Real Labor." Even then, I don't think it sunk in what she was telling us until she started asking what our plan was. "What do you mean?"  well, she asked, are you planning to have her vaginally or C-section? "you mean, like now??"  It finally sunk in. Tonight we would meet our Bella.

No comments:

Post a Comment